Mock Mincemeat Pie
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 2 12-inch round Pie Crusts (click for recipe)
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 3 large), peeled, quartered, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried tart or sweet cherries
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Large pinch of ground cloves
- Large pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
Place crusts on 2 rimless baking sheets and chill while preparing filling.
Place 1/3 of apples in processor. Using on/off turns, chop into small pieces. Transfer chopped apples to large saucepan. Repeat chopping remaining apples in 2 more batches in processor; add to saucepan. Place all dried fruit in processor. Using on/off turns, chop until beginning to stick together. Add dried fruits to saucepan with apples. Add sugar, molasses, rum, brandy, cornstarch, butter, orange peel, lemon peel, spices, and sea salt; stir to blend. Simmer over medium-low heat until mixture is very thick, stirring often to prevent scorching, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer pie filling to large bowl and cool completely, about 1 hour.
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Transfer 1 crust to 9-inch glass pie dish, leaving dough overhang. Spread cooled filling in crust. Cut second crust into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange 6 dough strips atop filling, spacing 1 inch apart. Place 6 dough strips at 45-degree angle to first strips, forming diamond lattice pattern. Trim strip ends even with bottom crust. Fold crust edge and strips in; press edge with tines of fork to seal. (Feeling ambitious? Click here for tips on making a woven lattice crust.) Whisk cream and sugar in small bowl to blend for glaze. Brush glaze over lattice.
Bake pie 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely for filling to set. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving. If desired, rewarm pie in 325°F oven 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Serve pie warm or at room temperature.